Monday, July 23, 2012

Should You Stockpile Medical Supplies?



I'm so thankful for the blessing of insulin.  It's still difficult to believe that Matthew would die without it.

Truthfully, that's one of my biggest fears: What if he doesn't have access to the supplies that keep him alive?

It's a scary thought and a constant prayer of mine.

So should you stockpile medical supplies?

ABSOLUTELY!

Creating a stockpile of medical supplies should be a top priority.

I'm not saying you need to have 12 spare bottles of insulin, but you should always have at least one month of supplies in reserve. Always. 


TWO REASONS TO STOCKPILE

1.  One Day You'll Need Extra Supplies

I had trouble ordering test strips in April.  It took about 2 weeks to get it straightened out.  The only reason we made it through that period was because I had a few boxes of test strips in reserve.

We've used this mail order company for years and I've never had a problem, but guess what?  I had problems ordering again this month!  Thankfully, we still had a couple boxes of strips.

You never know when problems will arise.  Be prepared!

2.  You Can Bless Someone Else

We know a family who has a daughter with Type 1.  Last year they had trouble with their insurance company (it happens all too often!) and I was able to give them a few supplies until everything was worked out.

It was a blessing to have spare supplies to share!


BEGIN TODAY

If you don't have a stockpile of supplies, it's time to make a game plan.

My next post will have some tips to help you get started.

Related Links
How To Stockpile Medical Supplies Part 1

7 comments:

Misty said...

You better believe I stockpile :) I also sometimes think of not being able to get insulin/etc. It is a scary thing..Hope you are enjoying your summer!

Penny said...

You bet I stockpile, you never know what will happen.

Unknown said...

I stockpile as well. We have always have trouble getting pods. We have extra of everything. Anything the insurance will pay for each month we always get. I also help other families out when we can. Its a very smart to stockpile you never know what will happen.

Stephanie said...

I keep trying to stockpile, but we go through our entire alloted 300 strips each month! I am usually on Adam's last strip before the mail arrives with the next shipment. I'm thinking of buying some on ebay or something...

Misty said...

Stockpile? Heck, some may consider me a hoarder!! The thought of running out or something happening before our next shipment comes is scary!

Sandy said...

We stock pile as well for my hubby but not nearly enough. Speaking of, I need to place an order, eek. Thanks for giving me the reminder of how important this is!

Jules said...

i used to 'collect' supplies. now i have one big box of the stuff we need. so yes we stockpile too.