Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Conquering Cake

Well......we did it!

Matthew had a birthday party yesterday and we totally ROCKED on the cake! Woo Hoo!

It worked out where I could give him the insulin early, so I gave him 2 units up front. For Matthew right now, that equals 63 carbs.

Once the cupcakes and ice cream were served, I could get a handle on the size and make some quick calculations. They both came to 50 carbs. I added in a few teddy grahams and he was good to go.

Sidenote: Matthew was really surprised when the ice cream was served. We had only talked about cake and he thought he couldn't have the ice cream. He was completely thrilled when I said I had already figured that in. Definitely a good Mommy moment!

Anyway, I checked him 2 hours later, hoping and praying he'd be between 140 and 180. The number was......drumroll please.......

157!

I am so grateful that God is getting us through those situations where you just have to make your best guess.

Matthew and I decided God must be a big fan of cake and ice cream. : )

4 comments:

connie said...

Congrats on rockin' the numbers and conquering the cake and ice cream!!!

That is a great victory and I am so happy for you and SOOOOO happy that Mathew was able to have his cake and eat the ice cream too :)

Meri said...

I totally agree...I really think God loves cake and ice cream. Birthdays somehow always work out around here. :) I'm going to run quick and knock on some wood...

Glad it was a success! He deserved it for his special day!

Joanne said...

Great job Mom! Glad it all worked out for you!

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

Wonderful! Congrats!