1. No shots! Matthew's favorite part by far!
2. I love the ability to give smaller amounts of insulin. On MDI, I could only dose in half unit increments. This morning, I gave Matthew a correction of .15--completely amazing!
3. Corrections in the middle of the night are much easier. You still have to be careful about the amount of insulin giving...but I don't have to worry about Matthew moving in his sleep while I'm giving the shot. I cannot tell you how many times that sleeping child would roll over right in the middle of his shot---needle half hanging out of him. Not fun, people.
4. I love being able to correct sooner, without an additional shot. Here's what happened yesterday.
Yesterday Matthew's BG was 170. It wasn't time to eat yet, but I wanted him a little lower before lunch.
Thanks to the pump, I was able to go ahead, correct him right then and he was sitting at a great number by the time we ate. I NEVER could have done that on MDI without giving 2 shots. I LOVE that!
5. The pump does that math. Dance of joy!
6. Finally, I love the pump, but I'm glad we waited as long as we did.
Every family is different, of course, so you have to decide what works for you. (If Matthew had been much younger, I'm sure I would have desperately wanted the pump sooner!)
Matthew was diagnosed in March of this year. The past 9 months has given me time to handle this emotionally. I now see how different foods effect Matthew. I feel much more confident in carb counting. Overall, I'm just more ready to handle this new adventure. The timing has been perfect for us!
I am so happy to hear it's working so well for you. We just took the first step and registered for the pump class in March!
.15 dose?????? I. can't. wait.
Well, actually I am sooooooo not ready and neither is Ellie but you and Matthew give me hope it might not be such a terrible transition ;)
that is wonderful! Joshua is not yet 2 so we are not ready for the pump yet but am so glad to hear about postive transitions... it helps alot!
YAY!! I am glad you are loving it. We waited a long time too and now I think we appreciate it more.
Congrats!! I am so happy that you are loving the pump. We LOVE LOVE LOVE ours too! And I did the Happy Dance when I realized how wonderful it was that the pump did all those math calculations for me too :)
Post a Comment