Monday, August 9, 2010

First Illness Since Diagnosis

Matthew started getting sick yesterday and sadly, he has all the fun stuff: vomiting diarrhea.

He had moderate ketones this morning, but his BS was only 145. He felt really lousy. I think it was all the ketones making him feel so bad. I called his CDE and she helped me come up with a plan. Basically just eating and drinking.....assuming he could keep it all down.

I had no idea how tough it would be to figure out sick-day stuff. I mean.....with shots....I can't give him insulin for 1 or 2 crackers. But he has to eat and he has to have insulin. Hmmmm...

I finally convinced him to try a slice of toast and some gatorade, but I didn't give him the insulin until I was sure he'd keep it down. Fortunately, he did.

Of course, then the diarrhea started and he went low. I guess it'll be this way until everything actually stays in him??

Good news though....ketones are now negative (we'll keep checking) and he's a happy camper parked in front of the TV.

Gotta be thankful for the little things.....that are actually big things. : )


Joanne said...

Again... I am so, so, so sorry! If I knew she was incubating something so awful, I would have called off lunch.

Please tell Matthew we hope he feels better soon!!!

Heidi =) said...

Sorry to hear you have a sick little guy. I'll say some extra prayers for you guys today. I hope Matthew is feeling better very soon.

Pam said...

Grace's first illness since dx was a MAJOR stomach bug that took out the entire family (except me, thank goodness). She ended up in the hospital because she couldn't keep any food down, so we couldn't give her any insulin, so her ketones wouldn't come down. Turns out all they did was give her Zofran (anti-nausea) and a saline drip, but it was enough to send her home within about 12 hours (wasn't admitted). I was afraid taking her to the hospital meant it was dire, but it actually helped her so much. The worst part of the whole thing was the complete lack of sleep - between cleaning throw-up sheets and constant BG checks.

Point of the story is that we survived, all of us. It may seem scary, and it is, but just do what you're doing and stay on top of his numbers, and he'll be fine. Good luck, and I hope he feels better soon!

Lora said...

I am so sorry. I hope he feels better soon. I dread the day I have to deal with all that.

LaLa said...

You rock! We had to take Nate to the hospital doe his 1st tummy bug. It was 2 weeks after dx and we couldn't get him out of the 40's but we were rookies. You are doing so awesome!!

I'm sorry he's sick but you are doing great!

Unknown said...

Oh geez! What a whirlwind....I hope he's feeling better by now...and that you have both gotten a nap!!!!