Friday, May 7, 2010

Ups and Downs

Yesterday I woke up with 2 thoughts on my mind: I hate diabetes and I stink at being a pancreas. It was a rough day for me.

We had been battling highs for 10 days straight. (Grrr....steroids....) In Matthew's logbook, we're supposed to circle all highs in red. There are red circles everywhere. So depressing.....

But I increased his insulin....again....and yesterday? He was in range all day. Wow! That was nice.

I'm not sure what's going on with him. Is the steroid lingering? I don't know. Is it a growth spurt? Maybe. Is he going out of honeymoon? Could be...

All I know is that yesterday was good and I feel better.

2 comments:

Meri said...

I often think I'm the suckiest pancreas around. It is for sure a job where we are constantly set up to fail. But it has some good benefits, like happy kids. So I'll keep at it!

Glad to meet you new friend! The honeymoon is really a tough road...you never know when the ol pancreas is going to sputter out some insulin of its own. SO FRUSTRATING!! I so know! Don't let it get you down. None of us have magic balls to know what the body is planning to do next. We just can do our best. And you know what, somehow it always seems to be enough!

connie said...

I am two years into this crazy new life with diabetes and I have had many bumps in the road. We used to highlight our daughters high blood sugars in yellow and I have had many moments where I would look at that log book and sigh in utter frustration!

I am happy to hear that yesterday was a good day, being a pancreas is a really hard job...we are all just doing the best we know how and to me it sounds like you are doing a wonderful job :) Hang in there and I hope you continue to see better numbers.